The Battle Of Kitty Knight

by Dana Kester-McCabe

This is the story of Kitty Knight who single handedly defended the home of an elderly neighbor from attacking British forces.

In June of 1812 the United States declared war on Britain who, using their ongoing conflict with Napoleon as an excuse, had been capturing American merchant ships, stealing their cargo and pressing their crew into service. Just after Christmas that year the British retaliated, declaring a state of blockade on the Delaware River and the Chesapeake Bay.

By April 1813, Lewes had been bombarded from the Delaware and British Rear Admiral George Cockburn had begun raiding towns along the Chesapeake starting in Norfolk, and working his way up the Eastern Shore to Havre de Grace. His strategy was to weaken any defenses here that might come to the defense of raids happening on the Western Shore at the same time, which later resulted in the burning of Washington D.C.

When Admiral Cockburn got to the Sassafras River most the region was in such a state of fear they could not effectively fight back against the invading force. Imagine living here on the shore at that time and hearing that British forces were surrounding and attacking the peninsula. Many people packed u p their valuables and headed to the Delmarva interior to hide and wait out the invasion. But Kitty Knight was not most people.

Catherine Knight, who was known as Kitty, was born in 1775 to a prominent Cecil County family. For several generations both sides of her family had held positions of authority and prominence in the region. Her father John Leach Knight was a justice of the peace, and her uncle Dr. William Matthews served in the Maryland General Assembly and the US House of representatives. She was reputed to be a great beauty. She once visited Philadelphia and attended a ball and danced with (by then former) President George Washington and many of the other congressmen and dignitaries in attendance. She was escorted by the father and grandfather (respectively) of Presidents William Harrison and Benjamin Harrison. She was the belle of the ball and several other events of that social season in Philadelphia.

By 1813 Kitty would have been 38 and because she was unmarried, she would have been considered a spinster. She was however, in her words "single by choice" and because she came from a wealthy family she was able to live comfortably in a lovely brick home she rented on a hill in Georgetown, Maryland. But her quiet life was disrupted on May 6, 1813 when British forces attacked and burned Fredericktown and Georgetown on either side of the Sassafras River. She watched in horror as troops setting fire to the town made their way up the hill to her house.

Kitty somewhere found the courage to confront Admiral Cockburn who was himself leading the raid. In an article published in 1908 by the Maryland Historical Society her nephew William M. Knight quoted Kitty's own description of the incident.

"The British," she said, "after landing, commenced to burn all the lower part of the town, which was largely frame. There were, however, two brick buildings on top of the hill, in the town, which had not, as yet, been fired. In one of them was an old lady, sick and almost destitute, and to that building the Admiral and his sailors and marines proceeded at a rapid gait. I followed them; but before I got to the top of the hill they had set fire to the house in which this old lady lay. I immediately called the attention of the Admiral to the fact that they were about to burn up a human being, and that a woman, and I pleaded with him to make his men put the fire out. This I finally succeeded in doing, when they immediately went next door, not over forty feet distant, and fired the second of the brick houses. I told the commanding officer that as the wind was blowing toward the other house this old lady would be burned up anyhow, when, apparently affected by my appeal, he called his men off, but left the fire burning, saying, 'Come on, boys.' As they went out of the door, one of them struck his axe through the panel of the door."

That second house was Kitty's home. She is said to have put that fire out herself with a broom. She eventually bought that house in 1836. The gash in the door remained for many years as a badge of courage under fire. The two brick houses and a church were the only buildings in the town left unscathed by the raid. Local legend has it that a traveler from Kent County was touring in England twenty-five years later where he met Admiral Cockburn's aide. The aide hearing that Miss Knight was still living requested that his "sincere compliments" be sent to her. Kitty was known throughout the community not only for this story but because of her beauty and intelligence. Though she had almost no formal education she was known for to quote extensively and accurately from literature and history books.

When she passed away in 1855 she left everything she owned to her brother's children, with the Georgetown home going to her nephew William. She requested that on her tombstone her name be written "Miss Catherine Knight." And so it was with an inscription which reads:

A maiden fair, with courage bold
with spirit pure and high,
displayed her flag of truce, and all
for poor humanity.

The house is now joined with a hallway to her elderly neighbor's house. One side is the Kitty Knight Inn which is still in operation today. The other side is a tavern named for Admiral Cockburn; which seems a little odd to me but I suppose helps to perpetuate the heroic tale of Miss Kitty Knight who beat back British fires with her broom.


The image in this story is not an actual portrait of Kitty Knight. It is merely a representation of the dress of a woman of her station during this time period.

Kitty Knight House - Restaurant Tavern Inn

Chesapeake Legends and Lore from the War of 1812
By Ralph E. Eshelman, Scott S. Sheads
The History Press - Charlston, South Carlina 2013

Two Maryland Heroines by William Love
Maryland Historical Magazine March 1908